The consequences of a conviction for a Murfreesboro, Tennessee driving under the influence charge, or DUI, can last years. While judicial penalties for a DUI conviction can be harsh, the non-judicial penalties are often even more troublesome. The best way to avoid these penalties is to avoid the conviction in the first place with the help of experienced and skilled DUI attorneys.
At Bennett & Michael, Attorneys at Law we understand all the negative impacts that a DUI conviction can cause in your life. This is why we are committed to protecting your rights and preparing the best defense possible for your Murfreesboro, Tennessee DUI case. Contact us at 615-898-1560 to schedule a free consultation so that we can get started on your defense today!
Tennessee DUI Charges
If a motorist operates a vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration, or BAC, of 0.08 or higher, the motorist is presumed impaired under Tennessee law. Although a first-time Tennessee DUI offense is charged as a misdemeanor it carries the following minimum penalties:
- $350 Fine
- 48 Hours in Jail
- Loss of Drivers License for 1 year
- Alcohol Safety School
- 24 hours Litter Removal
- Court Costs
- 11 Months/29 Days Probation
A number of aggravating factors can cause even harsher penalties for a Murfreesboro, Smyrna, or La Vergne, Tennessee DUI, including:
- Previous DUI convictions (DUI 4th offense is a felony)
- An accident causing property damage, physical injury, or death
- A blood alcohol concentration level of 2.0 or higher
- Refusal to submit to testing
- Transporting children while impaired
For many people, the non-judicial consequences of a DUI conviction are far worse than the actual sentence imposed by a court. Some of those potential negative consequences can include:
- Loss of employment (due to loss of license or from extended jail time)
- Increased car insurance premiums for several years
- Disqualification for future employment
- Disciplinary action if you hold a professional license
- Interference with custody or visitation with minor children
The Tennessee DUI team at Bennett & Michael, Attorneys at Law understands how a Murfreesboro, Tennessee DUI conviction can negatively affect your life for years to come. Therefore, we are committed to providing you with an aggressive, thorough defense and ensuring that your rights are protected throughout the process. Contact us today at 615-898-1560 to schedule a free consultation with experienced Murfreesboro, Tennessee DUI attorney.