A conviction for a drug crime can have serious long-term consequences. For many people, the non-judicial impact of a drug offense conviction is just as troublesome as the actual sentence handed down by the court. The best way to avoid facing the negative consequences of a Tennessee drug crime conviction is to avoid the conviction in the first place. To do that you must aggressively get ahead of the game.
At Bennett | Michael | Hornsby, Attorneys at Law we understand how a drug crime conviction can impact both your work and family life. If you have been charged with a Murfreesboro, Tennessee drug crime it is imperative that you speak to our experienced Tennessee drug crimes attorneys as soon as possible to begin working on your defense. Contact us today at 615.898.1560 to schedule a free consultation so that we can get started on your defense.
Types of Drug Crimes
In Tennessee you could face a variety of different drug crimes, depending on the facts and circumstances of the case. The most common types of offenses we see and handle in this jurisdiction include:
- Possession of marijuana
- Possession of a controlled substance (cocaine, prescription drugs, etc.)
- Possession with intent to sell or distribute
- Distribution of marijuana or a controlled substance
- Promotion or Manufacturing of drugs (including Methamphetamines)
- Trafficking of marijuana or a controlled substance
- Forgery of a prescription
- Prescription drug fraud
In addition to the above potential charges, you could also be charged at the federal level in lieu of, or in addition to, any charges you have against you in Tennessee.
Drug Crime Penalties in Tennessee
The potential penalties you face if convicted of a drug crime in Tennessee depends on the type and amount of drug involved and what charges were actually filed against you. As a general rule, drug crimes involving marijuana do not carry as severe a penalty as equivalent crimes involving other drugs; however, even marijuana crimes can be charged as a class A felony if enough marijuana is involved. Judicial penalties you could face if convicted of a Tennessee drug crime include:
- A term of incarceration in county jail, workhouse, or state penitentiary
- Lengthy probation which will likely include drug testing as well as counseling or treatment
- Drug Court
- Heavy fines and court costs
The non-judicial penalties you may face if convicted of a Tennessee drug crime include:
- Loss of employment
- Disciplinary action if you hold a professional license
- Disqualification for federal student aid assistance to pay for higher education
- Disqualification for need based programs such as Food Stamps and public housing
- Disqualification for future employment
- Interference with custody or visitation with minor children
A drug crime conviction may remain on your permanent record for life, meaning the negative impact of that conviction may follow you for life as well. At Bennett | Michael | Hornsby, Attorneys at Law we are dedicated to providing you with the best defense possible in an effort to avoid a Murfreesboro, Tennessee drug crime conviction. Contact us today by calling 615.898.1560 to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced Murfreesboro, Tennessee drug crimes attorneys.