If you have been charged with a criminal offense, your friends and family will likely advise you to hire a good criminal defense attorney. You may be hesitant to spend the money on an attorney though or you may consider bargain shopping when you hire an attorney. To make sure you understand how important your choice of attorney is when you are the defendant in a criminal prosecution, a Murfreesboro criminal defense attorney at Bennett, Michael & Hornsby explains how the best criminal defense lawyer can help you.
The Importance of Counsel
The United States Constitution guarantees you several important rights when you are the defendant in a criminal prosecution. Among the most important of those is your right to an attorney found in the Sixth Amendment. You should have been informed of that right when you were arrested and once again at your arraignment, or initial hearing. There is so much at stake when you are arrested and charged with a crime, including not just your immediate freedom but future opportunities as well. Proceeding without counsel is not something any defendant should consider.
Benefits of Hiring the Best Criminal Defense Lawyer
Hopefully you understand the importance of having a lawyer represent you when facing criminal charges. The same applies if you suspect that you are under investigation by a law enforcement agency. Keep in mind that the state or federal government has entire law enforcement agencies and seasoned attorneys at its disposal in a criminal investigation/prosecution. Trying to go it alone should not be an option if you are the target of that investigation or defendant in that prosecution.
When it comes time to choose your attorney, choose the best criminal defense lawyer you can find. This is not the time to look for a “deal” nor is it wise to hire an attorney who lacks the skill and experience needed to protect you and your future. Remember, the outcome of a criminal investigation and/or prosecution could haunt you for the rest of your life. Take your time and hire the best lawyer for the job. Doing so will likely come with several crucial benefits, including:
- Potentially avoiding an arrest. If you get a good defense attorney involved as soon as you have reason to believe you are the target of a criminal investigation you may be able to avoid an arrest altogether.
- Release pending trial. In almost all prosecutions the defendant has a constitutional right to bond, allowing the defendant to be released while the case is pending. Having an experienced attorney on your case at your bond hearing can dramatically decrease the amount of the bond you are required to pay or even result in your release without payment of a bond.
- Explaining and protecting your rights. Your Constitutional rights can only help you if you know what those rights are and how to assert them. A good criminal defense lawyer will explain your rights to you and make sure they are asserted when they should be.
- Resources to investigate and develop a defense. The prosecution has virtually unlimited resources that it can utilize to investigate and prosecute a defendant. You need the best criminal defense lawyer on your side to ensure that you have the resources to conduct your own investigation and to build a defense that can stand up to what the prosecution presents.
- Knowledge of the system and the players. The criminal court system operates differently than the civil court system. Having an attorney on your wise who knows how the system operates and who has extensive experience with the law enforcement officers, prosecutors, judges, and court staff can be crucial to your defense.
- Negotiating skills. Sometimes there is no way to avoid a conviction. When that is the case, you want an attorney who can negotiate the most advantageous guilty plea agreement possible for you.
- Aggressive defense at trial. If you decide to take your case to trial, you want the best criminal defense lawyer possible to represent you at that trial to ensure that you have the best possible chance of avoiding a conviction.
Contact the Best Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you have been charged with criminal offense in Tennessee, consult with an experienced Murfreesboro criminal attorney at Bennett, Michael & Hornsby to discuss your legal options. Contact the team today by calling 615-898-1560 to schedule your free appointment.