Getting through a divorce is rarely easy, even when both spouses are committed to keeping the process amicable. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to guarantee a smooth divorce; however, there are some things you can do to increase the likelihood. With that in mind, a Murfreesboro divorce lawyer at Bennett | Michael | Hornsby offers some tips for getting through a divorce.
Tips for Getting through a Divorce
If you have made the decision to end your marriage (or the decision was made for you by your spouse), you are probably now dreading the legal process that is in front of you. To make that process as painless and stress-free as possible, consider the following tips for getting through a divorce:
- Do your homework. Before you begin the divorce process, you should have a basic understanding of what to expect. Make sure you are using reliable sources when doing your research. For example, the official Nashville city government website offers basic divorce instructions you might want to review.
- Prepare. Although every divorce is unique, there are some common requirements in every divorce that you can prepare for in advance. For example, all marital assets and debts must be divided in the divorce. With that in mind, make a list of all debts and assets with relevant information (value, account numbers, location) noted.
- Communicate with your spouse. If you and your spouse are able to communicate about the divorce, sit down and talk about the details ahead of time. If you can reach an agreement that resolves all issues your divorce you will save time and money. Typically, the areas most likely to turn an amicable divorce into a contentious divorce are assets and children. As such, try and reach a mutually acceptable agreement on those issues before you even initiate the divorce.
- Put the children first (when applicable). If you have minor children of the marriage, remember to put them first in every way. Talk to them with your spouse (if possible) about the divorce and reassure them that everything will be ok. The law requires you and your spouse to submit a Parenting Plan that covers issues related to co-parenting the kids post-divorce. Not only should you put the children first when negotiating the terms of the Parenting Plan, but the law requires a judge to do so if you and your spouse cannot agree.
- Focus on your priorities. Accept the fact that you will not get everything you want out of the divorce. Knowing that, decide what is most important to you and focus on those priorities throughout the process.
- Do not go it alone. Divorce can be emotionally exhausting and financially devastating. Do not try to go it alone. Allow friends and family to help you through the process and seek professional help from a therapist if the stress gets too much to handle by yourself.
How Can a Divorce Lawyer Near Me Help?
Along with the foregoing tips, the most important thing you can do to get through a divorce with as little stress as possible is to consult with an experienced divorce lawyer before you begin the process. Even if you believe your divorce will be amicable, consulting with an attorney ensures that you understand the process and procedures and that you have covered all important issues. More importantly, an amicable divorce can turn adversarial overnight. If that happens during your divorce, having an attorney on your side will ensure that your rights are protected throughout the battle to come.
How Do I Contact a Murfreesboro Divorce Lawyer Near Me?
If you have additional questions about divorce in Tennessee, consult with an experienced Murfreesboro divorce lawyer as soon as possible. Contact the team at Bennett | Michael | Hornsby as soon as possible by calling 615-898-1560 to schedule your free appointment.
- What Happens to My CDL License If I Get a DUI in Tennessee? - June 6, 2023
- If I Have a Trust, Do I Still Need a Will? - May 30, 2023
- How to Get Through Summer Vacation as a Divorced Parent with Kids - May 25, 2023