A motor vehicle accident involving passenger vehicles can result in serious, even life-threatening injuries to the occupants of the involved vehicles. Collisions involving trucks, however, are even more likely to result in catastrophic injuries to the occupants of a passenger vehicle that collided with the truck. If you are the victim of a trucking accident you may wondering whether or not you need an attorney to litigate a trucking accident. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make with regard to whether or not you hire an attorney to help you with your trucking accident case; however, there are some common reasons why it is a good idea to work with a trucking accident attorney, including:
- Severity of injuries – as a general rule, victims in a trucking accident suffer serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment and often leave lifelong disabilities. As a general rule, the more serious the injuries are the more complicated it is to settle a trucking accident case. In addition, you may need assistance finding doctors who will work with you regarding your expenses.
- Need for resources – for a victim to recover compensation the victim must first prove that the defendant was negligent, or at fault, in the collision. That often requires resources, such as expert analysis of the accident scene, to which only an attorney has access.
- Multiple defendants –trucking accident often involve multiple defendants because there are so many parties that could share in the legal responsibility for the victim’s injuries, including, but not limited to: the driver; company the driver works for; owner of the truck; owner of the cargo; third party maintenance company; and the manufacturer of the truck. Litigating a case with multiple defendants requires experience and a more extensive knowledge of the law than the average person has, emphasizing the need to hire an attorney.
- Negotiating a settlement – most personal injury cases are settled outside of the courtroom through an agreed upon settlement agreement. Negotiating your own settlement is rarely a good idea. If your expectations are too high you will never reach a settlement with the defendant(s). On the other hand, if your expectations are too low you may agree to accept far less than what your case is really worth.
- Going to trial – if you are unable to reach a settlement your case will proceed to trial. This is when you really need an attorney on your side; however, hiring an attorney at the last minute puts you at a distinct disadvantage.
If you have suffered injuries in a trucking accident you owe it to yourself to consult with the experienced Tennessee trucking accident attorneys at Bennett, Michael & Hornsby to find out how they can help protect you and your rights and make sure you are fully and fairly compensated for all your injuries. Contact the team today by calling 615-898-1560 to schedule your appointment.
- What Happens to My CDL License If I Get a DUI in Tennessee? - June 6, 2023
- If I Have a Trust, Do I Still Need a Will? - May 30, 2023
- How to Get Through Summer Vacation as a Divorced Parent with Kids - May 25, 2023